Skyline Scotland Will Sell Out
3rd Feb 2016
Ready, Set, Go! Entries for the Skyline Scotland™ weekend of races will sell out. © Ian Corless
The first 100 entries flooded in for the Salomon Glen Coe Skyline™ on Monday in just 7 minutes and eventually peaked at 349! At the same time, we received 110 entries for the Mamores Vertical Kilometre® and 157 entries for the Ring of Steall Skyrace™ (and the entries keep coming). With eight months to go before the first Skyline Scotland™ weekend, we can be absolutely certain that these races will sell out, and that we are going to have a fantastic, stacked weekend of Skyrunning.
During the last 48 hours the Ourea Events team has been carefully working through all the entries into the Salomon Glen Coe Skyline™ and we wanted to share some insights into the process:
- All the entries are actually read carefully by a human. This means that limiting your experience to “lots of AL fell races” will mean your entry is rejected.
- The same goes for scrambling/climbing experience, with comments like “plenty of Scottish scrambling” also leading to a rejection.
- When you state you did a particular race, we generally check the results to see if you appear as claimed.
- Often the race/event/climb/scramble you claim to have done has also been done by someone in the office so we really do know if it is relevant experience or not.
- The process is not elitist. We are not looking for fast running results or difficult climbing grades; just reassurance that you understand the nature of the challenge and can clearly demonstrate your competence through previous experience.
- Let us also be clear that we don't particularly like turning away anyone, but that the vetting process is there for good reason.
Salomon Glen Coe Skyline™ Entry Limits
Of the 349 entries these breakdown as:
- 137 accepted and paid
- 115 outstanding invites
- 89 rejected
- 8 pending further information
Assuming everyone offered a place now pays we currently have 252 participants. We are saving 50 start slots for elite runners competing in the Skyrunner® World Series and the maximum start field is 300 so the event is effectively full. However, we know that there will be a no-show rate so will let the general entries continue until we reach 300 active participants. So, there you go, there are now 48 places left!
So to answer the question we are often asked the chance of passing vetting and getting a Salomon Glen Coe Skyline™ 2016 entry is 74%!