Provisional 2016 Race Programme
23rd Nov 2015
Jim Mann 12th at the Salomon Glen Coe Skyline™ in 2015
© Ian Corless
For all the latest information, and to be notified when entries for 2016 open, please join our mailing list.
There are BIG and EXCITING developments for the 2016 event. These include two fantastic new races that are more accessible for participants and have no vetting. Entries for all three races will open on Monday 1st February 2016 at 12 noon.
Am Bodach Vertical Kilometre® - Friday 16th September 2016
An incredible leg burning and lung-busting ascent from sea level to the Am Bodach Munro summit. It will take place late afternoon / early evening. Entries not vetted.
Kinlochleven Ring of Steall™ - Saturday 17th September 2016
A variation of the classic 'Ring of Steall' ridge-walking route this 25km / 2,500m mountain race has spectacular views of Ben Nevis from the Mamores and includes short sections of easy scrambling. Entries not vetted.
Salomon Glen Coe Skyline™ - Sunday 18th September 2016
Does this race need any introduction? 53km / 4,500m of pure Skyrunning that includes the most challenging Scottish mountain terrain. Climbing experience required. Entries restricted and vetted.
Updates for 2016 include:
- Date Change. The event will take place Friday 16th – Sunday 18th September 2016. We are moving the date one month later to minimise conflict with other UK races and to harmonise the date with the international Skyrunning® calendar.
- NEW Event Centre. Our new, bigger and better Event Centre is perfectly positioned in Kinlochleven village, 'behind' Glen Coe. We will be offering camping, food and films (in our famous marquee cinema) at a special weekend venue for competitors and their friends and family. This is where both the Salomon Glen Coe Skyline™ and Kinlochleven Ring of Steall™ races will start and finish. Join us for a weekend celebration of Skyrunning®.
- NEW Am Bodach VK. The UK’s first and only official Vertical Kilometre® will be on the afternoon/evening of Friday 16th September. This promises to be an incredible leg burning and lung-busting ascent from sea level to the Am Bodach Munro summit. Don’t forget you’ll need to get back down as well!
- NEW Kinlochleven Ring of Steall™ Race. A variation of the classic 'Ring of Steall' ridge-walking route this 25km / 2,500m mountain race has spectacular views of Ben Nevis from the Mamores mountain range and includes short sections of easy scrambling. Entries are not vetted.
- Salomon Glen Coe Skyline Course Change. We are moving the Event Centre for the Salomon Glen Coe Skyline™ to Kinlochleven from the Glencoe Mountain Ski Resort. The core elements of the route (Curved Ridge, Bidean nam Bian massif and the Aonach Eagach) are unchanged. However, the new sea level start adds additional height gain before Curved Ridge, which will allow the field to spread out and improve capacity on the technical sections. Lots more details to follow on this.
The website will be updated with comprehensive event information by January 2016.
Entries for all 3 races will open 1st February 2016 and will be sold on a first come, first served basis. Please make sure that you are subscribed to our e-mail newsletter to be the first to know!
The starting field for the Salomon Glen Coe Skyline™ will be limited to 300 and the first 250 entries will be sold on a first come, first served basis subject to vetting. The final entries will be held for elite competitors and any runners competing in all three Sky Extreme Series races.
We look forward to another amazing event weekend in 2016, and witnessing all of your tremendous achievements in the company of such wonderfully steep terrain!